|Aliases:||Black Costume, Black Suit, Venom Suit, Symbiote Suit|
|Lead Designer:|| N/A (symbiote);|
Felicia Hardy (cloth)
| Flash Thompson (symbiote)
Peter Parker (cloth)
| Peter Parker (symbiote)|
Eddie Brock (Symbiote)(Now Toxin)
Mac Gargan (Symbiote) (Now the Scorpion)
The Symbiote Costume, simply known as the Black Suit by some fans, is the brand new change of costume donned by Peter Parker in the first published Amazing Spider-Man #252, and chronologically donned in Secret Wars #8.
Involvement with Spider-Man
Originally,the symbiote was just a normal symbiote from the planet of the symbiote,but it had different thoughts about its host.
Unlike its race,Venom wanted to cooperate with its host,taking only the minimum necessary, in enchange of giving them all of its powers,for this,he was considered insane,and imprisoned in the world where the beyonder would have organized the secret wars.Spider-man had his costume heavily damaged,and the other heroes pointed out to the room full of machinery to fix his costume.once there,Spider-man released the symbiote,and began covering his body forming a new costume,completely black with a big white spider symbol on his chest,slightly larger eyepieces and white patches on the back of each hand,he wore this costume for all the duration of the secret wars.
Unknown to Spider-Man, the costume was actually an alien Symbiote that was able to copy and enhance his abilities,granting him enchanced strength,agility and organic webbing firing with a simple thought. The symbiote also learned the composition of Spider-Man's webbing, the frequency of his spider sense and his ability to adhere to most surfaces.
After the end of the Secret Wars,Spider-man returned to Earth and brought the symbiote with him,there he discovered that the costume could mimic any clothing he wanted.
For quite some time,Spider-man used the costume to fight crime,and the symbiote began to care deeply for him. Believing that he was helping him,the symbiote sneaked back onto Peter's body after he had taken it off and gone to sleep. It would then carry the unconscious body of Peter through a typical session of fighting street crime silently. Thus for as long as he had the symbiote he would be inexplicably tired in the morning as his brain would rest but his body would be getting no rest at night. After witnessing the suit spontaneously webbing Felicia,preventing her from leaving (because she saw Mary Jane).Spider-man decided to investigate on his new suit.
Upon discovering the true nature of the suit with the help of Reed Richards, Peter removes the creature using high frequency sonicwaves and is imprisoned,but not too long after,the symbiote manages to escape and hide in Spider-man's closet disguising itself as a normal spider-man costume,and successfully reattaches to Spider-man.
Panicked,Peter manages to swing to a church and ring the bells until the symbiote detaches,but he passes out.The Symbiote,in a last act of mercy,drags Spider-man to safety in the undercroft,but decides to not bond with him again,and saddened,leaves.
In pain for Peter's refusal and afraid,the symbiote finds Eddie Brock,about to commit suicide,and sensing his own pain it bonds with him and creates Venom,unfortunately,bonding with Brock twists the creature,devolving into a more violent and aggressive behaviour near insanity,having as main objective to kill Spider-man and protect the innocent based on a twisted sense of justice.
The symbiote had a pure love relationship for Peter at first for having freed him from his cage, but when he refused him, it hurt him psychologically and developed bitter feelings for Spider-Man, developing to love-hatred when it got attached to Eddie Brock, and there started aggressive struggles with the following hosts, no longer giving them power, deep down, the symbiote still loves Spider-Man.
This is demonstrated some time later in Amazing Spider-man 317,where Venom threatens Aunt May,but Peter manages to sway him away from her.
Spider-man goes to a pyschologist,who tells him that the alien suit is showing signs of "love-hate" but that the core emotion is still love.Later Spider-man is confronted by Venom,who was determinated to kill him , Spider-man.seeing that he couldn't beat him,he removes his spider-man costume and offers himself to the symbiote,which suprinsigly leaves Eddie Brock trying to bond again with Spider-man,causing heavy dissapointment in Brock.
However,as the symbiote attaches to Spider-man,the pain of severing the bond with Brock shocks it,causing both Brock and Peter to pass out,and when the symbiote seems to have completed its bond with Spider-man,it faints and detaches from him.
Return as Superior Venom
Doc. Octavius,as Spider-man,briefly rebonded with the Venom symbiote by tricking Flash Thompson and separated Venom from him and gave Flash a set of mechanical legs,imprisonining the symbiote in a containment tank based on Reed Richard's symbiote container.
Flash then tells Spider-man that the symbiote is scared,and that is "a lot stronger than he remembers",seconds later the symbiote manages to break the containment tank and bonds with Superior Spider-man,renaming himself "Superior Venom" and Doc Ock claims full control over the suit,claiming that Flash Thompson is weak minded and cannot do nothing without the symbiote,and that with his own previous experience with his robotic arms along with his iron will can control the symbiote.
Cardiac attempts to intimidate Superior Venom to hand over the symbiote,but he replies by injuring him and telling him that "a true monster would have gutted him like a fish"
Superior Venom then heads out to patrol the city,learning of the power of the symbiote
Later he's called by Anna Maria and returns to her apartment,where he learns that Aunt May questioned her about Peter's activities.He then promises that he will fix everything,heading to Aunt May's apartment
Mary Jane,angry about his way to treat people,confronts Peter,but suddenly he recieves a message about a crime,he changes to his symbiote suit,scaring Mary Jane,the Symbiote tells MJ that Spider-man "summoned" him claiming that he "can do whatever he wants" and influenced by the symbiote warns MJ to not get in his way,leaving for the city.
Mary Jane then alerts the Avengers and tells them that Venom has possessed him.
Earth-26496 (Spectacular Spider-man Show)
The symbiote costume was created when the symbiote merged with Spider-Man's suit, turning it into a black and silver version of his original suit. However, as his personality began to be taken over, it changed to have a large spider and the silver lines vanished soon after a battle with the Sinister Six that Peter slept through. He eventually removed the symbiote from his suit by destroying it within his mind with aid of Uncle Ben's memory and tried to destroy it by freezing it, but it thawed out and bonded with Eddie Brock, creating Venom.
Earth-1089 (What if the Alien Costume possessed Spider-man)
In this universe, Spider-Man waited too long to remove the suit and bonded permanently with him, stating that no force in the universe, no matter how powerful can now separate them, possessing him completely and becomes unstoppable, several days later, he apparently attacks Hulk, but as soon he arrives to Hulk he detaches from Spider-Man and possesses Hulk, and leaves an aged Spider-Man to the ground, who dies the next day as an 85 year-old trying to find a way to destroy the symbiote. And later possess Thor, after making a deal with Kingpin, Black Cat destroys the symbiote for good.
In this universe, the symbiote is very sorry for the loss of Spider-Man and doesn't feel hatred towards him as Venom did in the 616 universe because he didn't reject it.
Earth-1610 (Ultimate Universe)
In the Ultimate Universe, the symbiote was a biomechanical organism called the Venom Suit or simply the suit, was created by Richard Parker and Eddie Brock Sr. in an attempt to cure cancer, but eventually got attached to Peter Parker when he attempted to continue his father's experiments. The suit enhanced his strength and speed, generated webbing from it's own protoplasmic substance, and even allowed Peter to take a bullet without injury. The suit was removed after Spider-Man lost control of himself after chasing a burglar that he confused for the one that killed his Uncle Ben, temporarily turning into Venom and attempting to strangle the burglar to death. Peter regained a bit of control and ran into a downed power line that electrocuted him and vaporized the suit. He would not wear it again until the events of Shattered Dimensions, where Madame Web bonded it to Peter once again while using her psychic powers to keep it from overwhelming him, despite his unwillingness to use it.
Earth-2149 ( Marvel Zombies Universe )
In this Earth, Eddie Brock still got the suit as Venom, but he became infected and turned, which started the symbiote to die, since it could not feed on dead hosts,and is killed by zombie Spider-Man, as well the symbiote.
Earth-TRN123 (Ultimate Spider-man Cartoon Show)
In Ultimate Spider-Man, the suit is worn by Harry Osborn instead of Spider-Man and is in the same form as the comics. Eventually, Harry transformed into Venom. The suit was briefly worn again when Harry, possessed by Venom, beat up Batroc, but became Venom soon after.
Earth-TRN009 (Spider-man Web of Shadows videogame)
In this reality, Spider-Man gets another symbiotic suit from Venom, who ambushed both Peter and Mary Jane, he grabs Spider-Man, and starts crushing his head,but suddenly a new symbiote is born and attaches to Spider-Man, who breaks free from Venom's grasp and beats him brutally.
During the game's course Spider-Man uses his symbiote suit to help him in fighting crime and either gives into temptations or keeps control of himself, until New York is quarantined by S.H.I.E.L.D for the Symbiote Invasion set by Venom and fights the symbiotes.
If Spider-Man was more Heroic, he uses the Tinkerer's device to free New York from the Symbiotes. but he loses his symbiote suit forever.
If Spider-Man went more on the Villain Path, He destroys the Tinkerer's device to keep his Symbiote and kill Venom once and for all, later he claims control over the New York's Symbiotes, possibly with the help of Black Cat.
Earth-70134 (What if Spider-man rejected the Spider)
This reality goes with Earth 616 events until the events of "The Other". In Earth-616, Spider-Man accepted his Spider nature and is reborn.
Uatu the Watcher narrated about the deep how was the bond between Spider-Man and the Venom Symbiote, that nobody could imagine, that connected them mentally and physically even if they were far from each other, and how the symbiote acted against Spider-Man because it saw itself as a 'spurned lover' but still having feelings, and shows its feelings by escaping from Gargan and completing Spider-Man's metamorphosis and finally bonding with him permanently. In this universe however, Spider-Man rejected the Giant Spider's offer and killed it, saying that many other good heroes died and never got the chance to get back, while he gets resurrected indefinitely, and for this reason he refuses to accept the Spider's offer, the Venom symbiote, that was currently attached to Mac Gargan in prison, sensed what happened, and left him in prison,despite him begging the symbiote to not leave him, to 'make him nothing' again, he possessed a prison guard and web-slinged to Brooklyn Bridge, where Peter's cocoon was, and left his temporary host to reach Spider-Man's cocoon, and began to bond permanently with him, because the incomplete metamorphosis left him in stasis.
After several months of confrontation, Spider-Man loses against the Venom Symbiote and it took over, emerging from his cocoon as much different being, that was partly Peter Parker and mostly Venom. His first act is to share his 'gift' (replicate the symbiote) with Mary Jane and Aunt May, who were saddened by Peter's previous apparent 'death', and they were discussing about him when he broke the window and entered. At first, they mistake him for Venom, but Peter replies that he's not Venom, and starts his speech on how the creation of Venom and Peter Parker merged together was a miracle to be shared, how this was the deepest act of love that Venom could do to show his love for Spider-Man, when MJ told him that he wasn't Peter and how the Venom Symbiote was controlling him, but he denounces Venom as a lonely creature, a loser that couldn't reach his full potential and renames himself 'Poison'. MJ refuses the replicate as she would be rather dead, but Poison states that he can just reanimate her corpse, and that corpse would be just like him, but without 'the pesky feminine attitude getting in the way'.
In that moment Wolverine and Luke Cage entered in the room, alerted by Jarvis, and Logan intimidated Poison to back off from Mary Jane, and Poison replied that Logan was being overprotective about his wife and wonders if there was something going on between them, Logan replied that she wasn't Poison's wife, but Peter's, and attacked him, but Poison easily took him out by throwing him against a wall, then Cage grabbed Poison by the throat, and claimed Peter could still be saved and that the damage can be undone. Poison responded by producing a stinger that manages to pierce Cage's shoulder, leaving him in pain on the floor. After this, MJ didn't want any more violence and innocent blood spilled, so she agrees to the replication, but she promises that she will make his life a living hell to make him pay for what he did to Peter, and to this response, Poison leaves for the graveyard, where he unearths Gwen Stacy's body (Peter's first love) and put her in a cocoon similar to his, where after a while a symbiote hand emerges from the cocoon, indicating the successful reanimation of Gwen.
His further story from this point is unknown.
Earth 92131 (Spider-man TAS Cartoon)
In this Universe, the symbiote stows away in John Jameson's shuttle when he extracts a precious mineral, named Prometheum X, and after the shuttle is returning to Earth, the symbiote attacks him and his partner, crashing the shuttle. The Rhino steals the Prometheum X from the shuttle under Kingpin's orders, but Spider-Man gets in his way and places a tracer on him before Rhino escapes and the shuttle falls into the Hudson River with Spidey inside. When he returns to shore, the symbiote is stuck to his suit, where Spider-Man thinks it is sluge from the pollution in the river. Later, when he gets home, he sees Jameson on TV putting a bounty on his head for $1 million, after which he goes to sleep and throws his apparently dirty suit in his closet, but then the symbiote crawls on his bed and starts bonding with him, which causes a nightmare to Peter where he dreams of being chased and then consumed by a monstrous black creature.
When he wakes up, Spider-Man is hanging in the middle of Manhattan and is wearing a completely different costume, black with a big white spider logo, and feels much stronger and faster.
Later he goes to the ground to test his strength, and he notices that's increased enough to lift a firetruck, where before he had problems lifting a Volkswagen, but the police are closing in on him and he attempts to get away, and discovers that the suit can change into other clothing and changes into a police uniform to fool the cops and then gets away, enthusiastic of his new costume.
Later he goes to the college, where he tries to hit on Felicia Hardy using classy clothing (morphed by the suit), but just then Flash Thompson arrives, who threatens Peter, but he responds grabbing him from his shirt, stating other than his sense of humor he has got a backbone too, which Flash leaves him, impressed but in a bad way, and Felicia walks away, saying he scares her.
Later on the night, the Kingpin sent Rhino to steal the Iridium 90 bars for his Prometheum X experiment, which alerts Spider-Man's tracer that places on him days before, and when Rhino starts to take the iridium Spider-Man arrives, taunting Rhino, that comments on his new suit stating it won't look new for long and knocks Spider-Man down, but Spider-Man rises quickly and makes Rhino stumble, and then he brutally beats him with his enhanced strength, grabbing him with one finger and spins him into his own horn until Rhino says where the Prometheum is, when at last Rhino refuses to tell him and prefers to go to jail, Spider-Man, out of patience, launches a web and grabs a heavy metal door, tired of not having what he wants and threatens to crush Rhino, but Rhino screams in terror that he can't do that, at first he replied that he could, but then he remembered about his rules and dropped the door, leaving Rhino alone.
He then goes to Jameson's office, threatening to declare his statement of Spider-Man being the one hurting his son being false and to retire his offer of 1 million dollars, telling that Brock was lying, grabbing J.J and throwing a table to security. At first J.J didn't believe him, but when his son delirated about a man into a rhino costume (Rhino), he interrogates Brock and fires him, retiring his offer later.
Later, when Brock arrives home, Spider-Man entered the house to search for the photos that Brock did when the shuttle crashed, and when Brock arrives at the door, he sees that he's been evicted out of his house, and blames Spider-Man for everything, just then Shocker comes and starts attacking Brock for being a potential witness of Kingpin's activities, which alerts Spider-Man who defends Brock until Shocker hit a wall and made the bricks crumble above Spider-Man, apparently killing him, but he jumped from rubble and followed Shocker, where it led him to Alistair Smythe's laboratory. Shocker claims to have killed Spider-Man, but then Spider-Man knocks down the door and he immobilizes Alistair with his organic webbing and knocks Shocker down, after which he takes the Prometheum X and leaves, at home he analyzes it and discovers a startling secret.
Kingpin, enraged, ordered his men to retake the Prometheum, and to do this, he kidnapped J.J's son, where he was ordered to call Spider-Man.
Meanwhile, Spider-Man went to Doc Connors to analyze the suit, and discovered that was a symbiote that wanted to bond permanently with him, and suggested him to take it off immediately, but he refused saying that was still important business to do that needed his symbiote powers.
Then he went to meet with J.J, that brings him to a church, where Alistair did the exchange, and when gave the Prometheum to Alistair, he told Jameson to bring away his son,and that his business was over, but just then Shocker appeared,greeting him with a 'double-cross' insult and starting to fight, where Brock interfered multiple times.
When Spider-Man, in a state of bloodlust, throws a stone pillar to Shocker, making him realize that he can't stand a chance and flees to the upper level of the church, then Spider-Man swears that Shocker's attempt to hide is futile, since he'll find him everywhere, and uses the church bell space to enter and grab Shocker with a 'Bear Hug' Attack, and starts to crush him when Brock interferes again and knocks Spider-Man over.
Spider-Man, now nearly controlled by the symbiote, grabs Brock and binds him to a web cocoon, stating that he'll be 'dessert', and then dodges a hit from Shocker and finishes the sentence that Shocker will be 'the main course'. and detaches a stone piece and hits Shocker's gauntlets, destroying them.
When he attempts to grab Spider-Man, he grabs him instead and pulls him on the edge, attempting to drop him. The symbiote pushes Shocker off, Spidey catching him with his webbing. He then removes the suit with the aid of the church bells, where it slides away and bonds to Eddie Brock, forming Venom.
In most realities, the costume is normally black, has a large white spider design on the chest area, slightly larger eye pieces and white organic web-shooters on the back of each hand, and in the later features, his muscles are much bigger, making him appear bulky and stronger.
In the Ultimate universe, the costume appears to be purple, and sometimes black with a hint of blue.
Powers and abilities
- Enhanced strength (With the symbiote suit on Spidey can lift 70 - 75 tons).
- Enhanced speed, agility, reflexes and Spider-Sense brought to the extreme(it could see his opponents before they saw him).
- Can stick to any surface (even wet and/or crumbling).
- Organic and stronger webbing,and unlimited.
- Shapeshifting into other clothing.
- ability of sensing other symbiotes (Spiderman WOS)
- Weakness to high heat and sound waves(Symbiote Suit)
- causes to its host an unusually aggressive behavior,risking him to kill villains if the fight is too long(symbiote)
After Spider-Man abandoned the Symbiote, he was given a cloth version by Black Cat. He wore it for a time, but after Mary Jane was kidnapped by Venom, he abandoned this version as well at his wife's request.
During the latter part of the Marvel Civil War, after Aunt May had been shot by a sniper, he returned to this costume for the Back In Black storyline. The costume was retired once again after One More Day, and his original costume was reinstated for the entirety of Brand New Day. This version of the black suit was donned once again during the storyline Grim Hunt, in which Kraven the Hunter was resurected, and made Spidey so angry that he almost killed Kraven and the rest of his family.
The symbiote suit/black suit is a fan favorite as it has appeared in many forms of Spider-Man related media over the years.
- In the Spider-Man (1994 TV series), the Symbiote is attached to Peter Parker, and it makes him much stronger, faster, but also more upset, at first he's happy of the costume, but the more he wears it he realizes that he's turning more aggressive, as he tries to kill Rhino, threatens J.J with violence and nearly kills Shocker. He takes the Symbiote off in a bell tower, it then immediately bonds with Eddie Brock in the cocoon, and they become Venom. It proceeds to hunt Spider-Man until Spider-Man detaches Brock from the suit by using a rocket engine sound. Later, Dormammu returns the symbiote to Eddie Brock and they bond again, and giving a symbiote to Cletus Kasady, who becomes Carnage, in exchange they both have to help get Dormammu out of his prison dimension, later Eddie goes rogue and rescue a psychologist that encourages Venom to remove the symbiote to be just Eddie for her, he accepts and removes the symbiote, but he's warned that he cannot detach from the symbiote if bonded again, or he'll risk death. Meanwhile Carnage collects energy for Dormammu in order to power the dimensional machine, and Spider-Man asks help to Brock, who breaks the symbiote prison and becomes Venom once again, but this time allied with Spider-Man. Together they battle Carnage, but the Dimensional Machine starts working and Dormammu starts to exit, but Venom tries to block it, Carnage gets in the way. Eddie manages to destroy the machine, but he gets sucked into Dormammu's dimension with Carnage, looking back at the woman doctor he loved without his 'hood' in the eyes, as the portal closed, leaving Venom forever locked in the prison dimension (or until a dimensional portal can make them escape).
- In the The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008 TV series), After the symbiote came to Earth thanks to the nasa shuttle and being sent to the ESU laboratory, the Symbiote gets attached to Peter Parker when he snuck into the ESU to get a good look at it. the alien life form was able to copy and enhance his abilities,granting him enchanced strength,agility and organic webbing firing with a simple thought. The symbiote also learned the composition of Spider-Man's webbing, the frequency of his spider sense and his ability to adhere to most surfaces. Also, the alien life form altered his costume to being a dark version of it ( which later evolved with the appearance of having. but again, it also makes him more upset. After taking it off, it find Eddie Brock and they become Venom.
- In Ultimate Spider-Man (2012 TV series), the Symbiote is created by Doctor Octopus and escape to battle and get attached to Spider-Man, Power Man, Iron Fist, Nova and White Tiger. After awhile, a new Spider-Man emerges with a look similar to the Symbiote Costume from the comic books. The new Spider-Man is revealed to be Harry Osborn and he is keeping it in a watch which is destroyed. After the Symbiote is believed to be dead, Harry comes back as Venom.
- In Spider-Man 3, the symbiote attaches to Peter's bike early in the film. Later on, the symbiote covers his entire suit while he is asleep in the original red and blue costume, and makes him stronger and more agile, but much more aggressive. With it he beats Harry Osborn brutally and scars his face. Later in the movie, Peter takes off the symbiote, and an onlooking Eddie Brock gets engulfed by the symbiote, becoming Venom. After Eddie and the symbiote separate, the symbiote and Eddie are blown up by Peter, via one of Harry's bombs.
- In 2000's Spider-Man (video game), the symbiote is a wearable costume once unlocked. It provides unlimited webbing and the ability to turn invisible and move past enemies.
- In 2001's Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro, the symbiote costume is still unlockable with the same abilities as before.
- In 2005's Ultimate Spider-Man (video game), the symbiote suit is unlockable and wearable for Spider-Man, with no bonuses. Also, Venom has the symbiote suit on, and he is a playable character.
- In 2006's Marvel Ultimate Alliance the symbiote costume appears as an unlockable costume for Spider-Man
- In 2007's Spider-Man 3 (video game), the symbiote is apart of the story and is wearable, and features rage moves, except some versions, where it just does a boost in damage and durability.
- In 2008's Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, the symbiote is wearable as a part of the story. It grants new, more aggressive moves, including tendril attacks.
- In 2010's Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Ultimate Spider-Man is a playable character in the 4th dimension/Ultimate universe. Madam Web gives him the symbiote suit, and has control over Ultimate Spider-Man's mind so the symbiote does not take over Peter's mind
- In 2011's Spider-Man: Edge of Time, the symbiote suit is also an unlockable alternative suit available (and exclusive) to Amazing Spider-Man.
- In 2011's Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, the symbiote costume is buyable and wearable but is dubbed the "Black Suit".
- In 2011's Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Spider-Man is a playable character and symbiote suit is a wearable alternate costume.
- In 2011's Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Spider-Man is still a playable character with the symbiote suit as an alternate costume.
- In 2012's Marvel: Avengers Alliance, the symbiote suit is able to be bought, and wearable costume when the player has enough command points. It does more damage to "Webbed" enemies.
- In 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man (video game), the symbiote suit from Spider-Man 3 (film) is wearable, once unlocked.
- In 2013's Marvel Heroes, the if a player bought the Ultimate Founders Pack before early access, one of the four exclusive costumes is the Symbiote Costume with Christopher Daniel Barnes voicing Spider-Man for the costume.
- In 2014 for Marvel Heroes, a cloth non-enhanced version of the Symbiote Costume, know as the "Back and Black" version was made buyable to regular players for Spider-Man.
- In 2013's Lego Marvel Heroes, Symbiote Spider-Man is a DLC character that acts and fights differently from Classic Spider-Man.
- In 2014's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game, as pre-order bonus from Gamestop players can access a DLC pack featuring four costumes. One of which is the symbiote costume that grants bonuses.
- The black costume stemmed from an idea submitted by a then 22-year-old fan named Randy Schueller, after Marvel in 1982 had asked its readers for ideas for new Spider-Man stories. Schueller's idea was purchased by Jim Shooter for the sum of 220 US dollars. Randy Schueller later tells his involvement with the black costume and Marvel in an article at Comic Book Resources.
- During the making of the symbiote costume, the original white spider in the middle of the costume only had 1 leg. This was changed so the spider would have multiple legs. The spider was also originally red but was later changed to white.