Spider Powers are special abilities, beyond what normal humans possess, that are usually somewhat related to Spiders. They are used by many characters in the Marvel universe.
Spider Powers have been a part of the Marvel universe since 1962, when Spider-Man first debuted. The most common include Wall-crawling, enhanced strength, speed, reflexes, durability, stamina, healing and agility, as well as an early warning system officially dubbed the "Spider-Sense" power by Peter Parker.
How to obtainEdit
- Radioactive Spider Bite: This seems to be the most common way. Most versions of Peter Parker that are based of the mainstream version have been bitten by a Radioactive Spider to gain their Spider Powers.
- Spider God: As seen in an alternate version of Peter Parker's dream, after being bit by a spider, he KO'd, and dreamed a "spider god" was talking to him, and gave him the powers of a spider, and Peter became "The Spider-Man". It is unknown if the spider was radioactive, or if the Spider God gave Peter his powers in his reality.
- Enhanced Spider Bite: This is a rare, less common way to gain Spider Powers. Peter Parker and Miles Morales of Earth-1610, the Ultimate reality have been bitten by a Spider that have been enhanced by the OZ formula to give them their powers. Miles was bitten by a different spider which gave him the same, yet extra powers such as invisiblity, a Venom Strike and a stronger Spider-Sense.
- Gene Splicing: This is how Miguel O'Hara and most alternate versions of him got their powers. This involves the fusing and splicing of Spider DNA with human DNA often resulting in Spider Powers, except for the lack of a actual Spider-Sense. Instead, Miguel has "Accelerated Vision" which allows him to see farther, and better then a normal human. He also has fangs which contain a paralzying, non-toxic venom to attack people with.
All symbiotes grant this ability.
Spider-Man had the first variation of wall-crawling. It's still a mystery to him as to exactly how it works, but Peter guesses that he can mentally make his molecules bond to any surface. At first when Peter gains his spider powers, he sticks to a wall without even knowing it. Very early in the comic book years of Spider-Man, Peter can only stick with his hands and feet. Later on, it is seen that he can stick to surfaces using his back.
The bond is unbreakable, and can be used by any part of the body, including his feet, and allows him to do things, like catching a ball with one hand. The suit designed by Spider-Man is thin enough so that he can still stick to surfaces.
Only seen in the Spider-Man (2002 film) that after being bitten, Peter's skin grows scopulae, a sharp, "barbed" like material that allows real spiders to climb surfaces.
- An extremely slippery and or wet surface can nullify the wall crawling ability.
- A crumbling surface or a surface that can not support someones weight using the wall-crawling ability can nullify the power.
- Some enemies are strong enough to rip someone with the wall crawling ability right off a surface.
- Some enemies have lubricants that can nullify the wall crawling ability.
- Super Speed: Spiders, being very fast and agile creatures, give one with spider powers enhanced speed and agility. people with enhanced spider speed are too fast too be seen by normal humans, but it is seen that they outrun any speeding vehicle and can run up to 200 miles per hour.
- Super Reflexes and Agility: Along with a spider sense for most people with spider powers, the basic reflexes and agility of a person is far enhanced that beyond a normal human's.
- Super Balance: People who have spider powers have an enhanced sense of balance or equilibrium to stand perfectly still on almost any surface, also in help with the wall crawling ability. Peter shown to balance on a thin wire with one finger, balance on a moving car, stand and walk or run on walls or bend into certain positions that would normally hurt an average non-powered human.
- Super Senses: The senses of spider-powered people are superhuman perception, as a result of the spider's bite.
- Accelerated Regeneration: Spider power enhanced an average humans healing factor higher, faster, better and superior then that of any regular human.
It does not identify the nature of the danger, but will indicate what direction the individual needs to move in order to avoid it. It has been known to warn of all forms of danger, from bullets and lazers to tainted meat. The spider sense power can also locate someone dangerous as Peter once did as Spider-Man to find the Vulture, or when enemies are closing in, or where they are going to jump next and this power is limitlessly passive and limitlessly uncontrollable.
Miles Morales' Spider-Sense seems so powerful he has visions of the future. He had a vision of the Peter Parker in his universe getting killed before his death and had a vision of Galactus coming to the Ultimate universe before he actually arrived to Earth.
Although in the comics a sound is never made, in the television series and in film, a sound or animation is shown around Peter Parker's head.
- In 1967 Spider-Man TV series, no noise or animation is visible.
- In 1981's Spider-Man TV series, Spider-Man's eye pieces glow white.
- In 1994's Spider-Man TV series, a noise is made and the background changes many colors.
- In 1999's Spider-Man: Unlimited TV series, the background flickers red and blue.
- In 2003's MTV Spider-Man TV series, an exteremly small blue noise comes from Peter's head area.
- In 2008's The Spectacular Spider-Man TV series, the spider sense sounds like an alarm clock with moving parts coming from Peter's head area.
- In 2012's Ultimate Spider-Man TV series, a vibration and small, high ringing noise comes from Peter's head.
In the Spider-Man trilogy by Sam Raimi, this version of Peter Parker's spider sense is so powerful, he often can tell what is going to happen, before it happens. He can also determine the whereabouts of anything and anyone in a room from a fly, to a spitball the second Peter enters a room. In Spider-Man 3, the infamous noise that is made is not made at all.
In The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 film), no noise is made but Peter uses the power to dodge gunfire from the police after doing "80 percent of your job!".
In The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014 film), Peter's Spider-Sense seems much stronger since he could tell the danger of Electro before he started trouble, miles away from him. A slight sound similar to the sound from MTV Spider-Man is heard.
Mark of KaineEdit
Dubbed the "Mark of Kaine", a power first used by Peter Parker's clone, Kaine Parker, is a power used where the user enhanced the fingers and entire hand to burn scars or rip off someone's skin. This is seen used mostly by Kaine.
Peter Parker had once developed retractable, razor-sharp stingers that were located within his arms below his wrists. They release and are coated in a polyamine venom, which when shot, caused minor paralysis. Kaine Parker currently has stingers.
After the Spider-Man: The Other storyline, Peter Parker developed the ability to see in the dark much better then an average human. This may or may not be apart of Spider Powers.
Used only once as a part of Peter's enhanced powers, Peter Parker was able to recover from a fatal beating by webbing himself up in his own cocoon, and hiberating inside of it to heal completely by sheding his skin.
Five Senses BoostEdit
As a result of Spider Powers, anyone that has them has their five human senses boosted that beyond of a normal human.
During the Spider-Man: The Other storyline, Peter grew a full mouth of razor sharp fangs that he used to bite Morlum.
Miguel O'Hara also has fang as a result of his spider DNA splicing.
Currently, this is a ability that only Miles Morales of the Ultimate reality has. This involves the user touching any part of another person body to deal pain to them. This pain ranges from a small stun, to knocking someone out cold.
In the "Avengers: Disassembled" crossover storyline, Peter underwent a transformation that allowed his body to produce webs from his forearms and shoot them as he pleases.
Peter had grown spinnerets in his forearms that terminate in small pores at the junction of his wrists. By pressing down with his middle fingers to his palm, he causes the pores to open and the spinnerets to eject the organic fluid with a force greater than that of his original web-shooters.
The effectiveness and amount of organic webbing is depends on a person's health and nutrition. However, it is seen one time that at full power, the webbing had enough power to wrap and completely cover one of Iron Man's armors. The organic webbing takes a week to dissolve, instead of an hour. Kaine Parker, is also seen to have his ability.
All symbiotes seem to grant this ability, no matter what color the webs are.
Control of SpidersEdit
Similar to how Henry Pym's Ant-Man identity had him controlling and speaking to ants through his helmet, Kaine has the power to communicate with spiders and control them.
As only seen with Miles Morales, another power including camouflaging with said surroundings if Miles stands still.
- Spider-Sense Disruption: The spider sense power can lose it's function if it is disrupted by special drugs or chemicals. Also, if the spider sense has not register something that is clearly dangerous, the user will not be warned. Such things as all and any of Peter Parker's clone and the Venom symbiote and all of it's offspring has as Carnage, Toxin and so on.
- Anti-Venom: Due to Eddie Brock not being able to rid the poison that is the radition in Peter's blood that give him his powers, whenever Peter got close to Anti-Venom, his spider powers would weaken. This probably goes for anyone who get close to Anti-Venom if Eddie tried the same thing.
- Ethyl Chloride: All people with spider powers are weak to the chemical known as Ethyl Chloride. This chemical is often used by Spider-Slayers.
Notable people who have spider powersEdit
- Peter Parker (Earth-616)
- Flash Thompson (Currently Agent Venom)
- Eddie Brock (Currently Toxin)
- Michael Ian Van Patrick (and his clones: Michael and Patrick, gained by the iron spider suit)
- Other people who have Spider Powers
- Peter Porker (Spider-Ham)
- Kaine Porker (Earth-8311)
- Piguel O'Malley (Earth-8311)
- Mayday Porker (Earth-8311)
Marvel Comics 2 universeEdit
Marvel 2099 universeEdit
Marvel Noir universeEdit
Marvel 1602 universeEdit
Ultimate Marvel universeEdit
Notable Symbiotes that give, enhance or have Spider PowersEdit
- Venom (Symbiote)
- Carnage (Symbiote)
- Toxin (Symbiote) (Earth-616)
- Other symbiotes with Spider Powers