| Phoenix Force
|Full Name:||Phoenix Force|
|First Appearance:||X-Men Vol. 1 #101|
|Created by:|| Chris Claremont|
|Place of Birth:||Big Bang (reborn in each successive reality)|
|Base:||White Hot Room; formerly Xavier Institute, Salem Center, Westchester County, New York|
|Affiliations:||None; formerly X-Men, Hellfire Club, Phoenix Five|
|Powers/Abilities:||Because Phoenix was linked to Jean's psyche, the Phoenix maintained a psychic link with Cyclops.|
|Height:||Immeasurable, unless it is within a host|
|Weight:||Immeasurable, unless it is within a host|
|Hair Color:||None, varies on host|
|Eye Color:||None, varies on host|
|Unique Features:||It takes the form of a large Phoenix.|
"I am fire! And life incarnate! Now and forever -- I am PHOENIX!"
The Phoenix Force (of Earth-616) is one of the oldest known cosmic entities, representing life that has not yet been born. The Phoenix Force is an immortal, indestructible, and mutable manifestation of the prime universal force of life.
Born of the void between states of being, the Phoenix Force is a child of the universe. It is the nexus of all psionic energy which does, has, and ever will exist in all realities of the Omniverse, the Guardian of Creation, and a de-facto guardian of the M'Kraan Crystal. The Phoenix is among the most feared beings in the entire universe - having the power to cut and regrow any part of the universe, as well as destroy it entirely, which is part of the Phoenix's purpose: "The Judgement of the Phoenix": to burn away what doesn't work. Recent interventions of the Phoenix suggest that "what doesn't work" is what has become stagnant instead of naturally evolving.
During its time as a sentient entity, it traveled the cosmos just like other cosmic beings. At first, the Phoenix Force was a formless mass of energy, but thousands of years ago, it came to Earth, and met a magician named Feron (who worshiped the legendary Phoenix), whose daydream-like visions prompted the Phoenix to adopt the firebird form it has today. Feron asked the Phoenix to help him by lending its energy to project a stone pillar (which resembled a lighthouse) across the multiverse. The pillar became the lighthouse base for the British superteam, Excalibur (a team its future host Rachel Summers herself would join).
- Jean Grey
- Emma Frost
- Hope Summers
- Fongji Wu
- Stepford Cuckoos
- Rachel Summers
- Madelyne Pryor
- Korvus Rook'shir
- Professor X
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
The Phoenix Force is one of the most powerful cosmic forces in the Universe with the power to create and destroy everything. As the White Phoenix of the Crown it posses a multiversal power making it one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel universe. Its powers include:
- Future Life-Force Tap: The Phoenix Force can tap into the energy provided by life-force reserved for future generations, thus denying them existence. The Phoenix Force possesses limitless cosmic energy. With or without a host, it is one of the most powerful entities in the Marvel Universe.
- Concussive Force Blasts: It can wield this energy to project beams of immense concussive force powerful enough to destroy whole planetary bodies.
- Quantum Singularity: It can transmigrate throughout time and space by folding its energy back into itself, causing it to collapse akin to a black hole. It then reforms itself upon reaching its destination.
- Energy Absorption: It can directly absorb, manipulate, and fully control any type of energy such as Cyclops' ruby-red-colored optic blasts or the entire energy of a star, black hole, or even a whole galaxy.
- Life-Force Control: The Phoenix Force can control and manipulate life and death itself.
- Psionic Nexus: As the nexus or center of all psionic energy throughout the cosmos, the host attains nigh-infinitely powerful mental abilities, including telepathy, empathy,and telekinesis, and often seeks out hosts who have psionic abilities. When bonded with a host, the Phoenix Force vastly strengthens and amplifies all of their superhuman mutant powers and abilities to immeasurable and innumerable power levels.
- Matter Transmutation: It can manipulate and transmute matter on a sub-atomic level (e.g., turning wood to gold, stone to crystal, etc).
- Cosmic Teleportation: It can teleport others across vast distances such as another planet or galaxy, and the vast vacuum of space itself.
- Disintegration Waves: It can consume and remove a near infinite amount of molecules per second.
- Resurrection Force: It can resurrect anyone it wishes with its near infinite powers, as it is the embodiment of life and death itself. It could also bring itself back as well.
- Immortality: The Phoenix Force is immortal and indestructible. It can't die or be destroyed. After its "death" in Avengers vs. X-Men, it was said to be destroyed, but, as it has happened many times, the entity is never dead. It forms itself in a cosmic egg in the White Hot Room and says in there until it is ready to come out. Some hosts get true immortality, but other get it from never aging or needing food, water, and oxygen to breath and, if they were killed, the Phoenix Force would bring him or her back to life.
- Cosmic Pyrokinesis: It can create 'cosmic' flames under any conditions even the impossible ones such as vacuum space or underwater. These flames do not require oxygen to burn, and burn so intensely that matter is consumed without by-products such as ash. It has perfect control over these flames, and they only consume what it wills. Typically they manifest as a raptor or part of a raptor such as a claw or wings, in the case of an avatar. It is unclear whether these flames are an extension of its powerful psionic abilities or a literal punctuation to its purpose to 'burn away what doesn't work.'
- Temporal Manipulation: the Phoenix Force can manipulate the past, present, and future across large temporal distances and with a profound knowledge of the causal effect her actions will have. It may be the case that time as a concept doesn't apply to the White Hot Room. it has only been shown When Jean Grey as the White Phoenix Of The Crown held her universe in the palm of her hands and saved it from becoming a horrible future.
- Existence Mastery: It possesses total control over the entire existence. It can bring anything into existence, freely manipulate all existing things, and return them to nothingness when their purpose is extinguished.
It's immeasurable cosmic powers and abilities appear to be at their strongest and most powerful when bonded to Jean Grey (possessing incredibly strong and powerful levels of telepathic, empathic, and telekinetic godhood status abilities, complete control and manipulation over the realms of matter, energy, space, time and thought), as the two have a strange, profound connection to each other (Jean is the closest thing the Force has to physical form).
- Like Jean Grey-Summers, the Phoenix used telepathy and telekinesis, but at a much, much greater near-limitless power levels. She was able to rearrange the molecular structure of matter and fly at high hyper-sonic speeds while inside a planetary body. Using the Phoenix Force, she could travel through hyperspace and destroy Shi'ar battle cruisers with little effort.
Because Phoenix was linked to Jean's psyche, it maintained a psychic link with Cyclops.
- Chaos Magic: When Cyclops was possessed by the Phoenix, he received a high harm when he touched Scarlet Witch, as well as Emma Frost (also being possessed) suffered when she telepathically detected her presence. As the Phoenix Five gained more portions it becomes less affective.
- Iron Fist energy from K'un-Lun: the dragon, Shou-Lao was able to hurt Cyclops when possessed Phoenix. It was said by the Watcher that the dragon beat the Phoenix but there is no evidence to show that. An Iron First named Fongji Wu used the powers of the dragon to tame the Phoenix and controlled its powers. It is unknown if the power proves less affective as the Phoenix Five gained more portions of Phoenix.
Despite these weaknesses the Phoenix Force itself has never really felt it or ever even said it hurts. It only affects it host and even if the Phoenix is in control only the host feels pain. But its weakess its control over its host as seen in Phoenix Endsong by Jean and Cyclops in Avengers vs X-Men Round 12.
Flight under her own power, intergalactic flight through hyperspace, X-Men Stratojet, and access to Shi'ar Star-Gates.
- As originally written, the Jean Grey incarnation of the Phoenix was not a separate cosmic entity, but Jean herself, having attained her ultimate potential as a psychic, only to become slowly corrupted by the manipulation of such foes as Mastermind and Emma Frost; unable to adapt to her enormous power, Jean was driven mad. In order to return Jean to the fold several years later, this storyline was retconned to reveal the existence of the cosmic Phoenix Force entity, which had created a duplicate body of Jean, believed itself to be Jean, and acted in her place while the real Jean lay in a coma in the ocean. This let Jean be revived as a member of X-Factor. The extent to which the duplicate and Jean are separate entities depends on who is writing the character(s) at the time.
- The Phoenix appears to favor certain bloodlines as hosts.
- The Dark Phoenix Saga raised the standards for graphic storytelling. Claremont's use of foreshadowing, motivation, and pathos took comics to a new level and made the X-Men franchise one of the most popular titles ever.