|This has got to be the worst alternate universe ever. -Peter Parker (Earth-616)
This article is a stub. This means that it is short and needs more information, or should be expanded with up to date information. You can help the Spider-Man Wiki by expanding it. Thanks!
|Real name:||Patrick Mulligan|
|Created by:||Peter Milligan; Clayton Crain|
|Place of Birth:||New York City|
|Base:||New York City|
Patrick "Pappy" Mulligan, also known as a host of the Toxin symbiote is the host of Carnage's first symbiote off-spring.
Birth of Toxin
Carnage felt only dislike and hatred towards his new spawn, even before he "gave birth" to it, both fearing that it could become much stronger than himself, and being generally disgusted at the thought of giving birth. At the same time, Carnage's rival and "father" Venom became aware that Carnage was "pregnant" and sought out Carnage to talk about this new Symbiote. Carnage had resolved to kill his spawn as soon as it was born. Venom was doing his best to protect the new Symbiote, with the intention of raising it to become his new partner.
At first, Patrick didn't realize quite what had happened to him, but before long, the Toxin symbiote had matured enough to gain both conscious thought, and the strength to form a symbiote costume on Pat's body. This first occurred when Carnage attacked Gina and Edward at his home, and shortly after the battle, the symbiote began to talk to him. During a future confrontation between Venom, Carnage, and Toxin, the symbiote revealed to Patrick that it had "become something new" and was unlike it's predecessors, as it wanted to help restore peace to the world, rather than conquer and destroy it. Venom and Carnage formed a pact to destroy Toxin, as it was clear by now that he was easily as strong as both of his predecessors combined, and was still growing! Spider-Man stumbled upon the confrontation between the symbiote trio, and helped Toxin. After they fended off Venom and Carnage, Toxin had a conversation with Spider-Man, filling him in on what had happened to him. Spider-Man gave him a kind of superhero heart-to-heart, and Toxin agreed to use his power for good. He walked out on his wife and child, and left the police force to try and come to terms with his new life. At one point, trying to live with Toxin becomes too much for Pat, because of the fact that he is unable to handle two consciousnesses using the same mind. He attempts to commit suicide by throwing himself in front of a train. Toxin interferes at the last moment, saving Pat and claiming that deep down, Pat didn't really want to die.
Pat agrees, and once again tries to be a hero with his symbiote abilities. Patrick and Toxin begin talking a lot and Toxin reveales that they have a life long symbiotic relationship ahead of them. Because he was born in Patrick's body, if he ever severes his bond with Patrick, both of them would die, and that Toxin was rendered unable to reproduce by his irreperably damaged DNA (which ironically is what caused Toxin to turn away from evil). He and Toxin even have child like squables from time to time. An example is when he was ambushed by Carnage while in his human form and Toxin refused to manifest as a costume until Patrick admitted he was right about a debate they had the night before.
Unfortunately, however, Toxin would prove to be his doom, as Patrick was beaten to death in a gutter by Blackheart to obtain the symbiote. The Toxin symbiote was then forcibly bonded to Eddie Brock, who decided to use it to kill the new Venom.
Powers and Abilities
- Toxin possesses vast superhuman strength and is stronger and much more resistant to injury than Venom and Carnage combined, as he is capable of lifting 125 tons and exerting himself for at least 48 hours until fatigue impairs him, but still has the traditional Symbiote's weaknesses of heat and loud noise.
- The tissue the Symbiote is composed of renders Mulligan's body much harder and much more resistant to physical injury than the body of an ordinary human. Mulligan can withstand high caliber bullets, great impact forces, powerful energy blasts, and falls from great heights without sustaining physical injury.
- He is durable enough that he can withstand multiple barrages of high caliber weapons such as machine guns from close range completely unperturbed. He can withstand blows from superhuman beings, as he has been shown to withstand direct hits from Sandman, Rhino, Carnage, Hulk, and The Thing, and be completely unharmed. He also possesses an extreme resistance to pain, and seems to feel it only to a certain extent.
- The Symbiote is capable of mimicking the appearance of any form of clothing, camouflaging with its surroundings, and even mimicking other people.
- Much like Spider-Man, Toxin has the ability to cling to virtually any surface, he can rapidly crawl, walk, or run across even slick or wet surfaces.
- He is also capable of regenerating lost portions of his symbiote simply by bleeding, and, because of this, can form projectiles out of pieces of his symbiote (such as blades, spikes, or swords) that he throws at his aggressors. These projectiles are harder than diamonds, and are capable of causing extreme physical injury.