|So, as someone once said, --- Up --- Up --- and AWAY! - Peter Parker
This article is plagiarized.
It seems the information on this article is mostly or entirely copied from another source. Please edit this article to make it more original.
| Norman Osborn
|Full Name:||Norman Virgil Osborn|
|First Appearance:|| Amazing Spider-Man #14 (as Green Goblin)|
Amazing Spider-Man #23 (unnamed)
Amazing Spider-Man #37 (named)
Dark Avengers #1 (as Iron Patriot)
Avengers Vol 4 #23 (as Super-Adaptoid)
Superior Spider-Man Vol. 1 #4 (as the Goblin King)
|Created by:||Stan Lee; Steve Ditko|
|Place of Birth:||Hartford, Connecticut|
|Base:||Mobile; Formerly H.A.M.M.E.R. base, Avengers Tower, New York City, New York|
|Affiliations:||Formerly Goblin Underground; AlchemaxH.A.M.M.E.R., leader of the Dark Avengers, Thunderbolts, The Cabal; Former leader of the Sinister Twelve, Sinister Six, partner of Mendell Stromm, Crime Master, employer of the Enforcers, Hellfire Club|
|Height:|| 5' 11" (1.80 m)(At normal size)|
6' 4" (1.93 m) (In armor)
|Weight:|| 185 lbs (84 kg) (At normal size)|
385 lbs (In armor)
|Unique Features:||Goblin tattoo on his neck|
"Take a look, Parker--a good, long look--it's the last face Spider-man will ever see--it's the real face of the Green Goblin--the face of Norman Osborn! "
Norman Osborn (of Earth-616), also known as the Green Goblin, Iron Patriot, Super-Adaptoid, and Goblin King; was the co-founder and former CEO of Oscorp, the former leader of the Avengers, the former director of H.A.M.M.E.R., and former leader of the Goblin Underground.
Norman has battled Spider-Man numerous times over the years and has become Spider-Man's greatest enemy.
Norman Osborn was just a child when he first became obsessed with wealth and power after his father, Amberson Osborn, a failed business inventor claimed that he was swindled out of his inventions and personal fortune but took out his rage on Norman. Norman realized that he could not depend on his father for financial security, so he began working after school and saving every cent he earned. He would not allow himself to become a failure like his father. Norman studied chemistry and electrical engineering in college and also took a number of courses in business administration. One of his teachers was Professor Mendel Stromm became good friends and later formed a partnership, since Norman put up the bulk of the financing, they called their company Osborn Chemical, then Oscorp.
Norman married his college sweetheart Emily and together they had a son; Harry. Unfortunately, Emily became ill and after she died, Norman buried himself in his work and rarely had time for young Harry. As the brilliant co-owner of a chemical manufacturer known as Oscorp, Norman Osborn was in loving wealth and power, decided to take control and had his partner Stromm arrested when he found he was committed embezzlement, granting him complete control over the company and making Norman the official CEO of Oscorp. While going through Stromm's notes, he found a secret formula that would make him super human. However, his son, Harry, who was tired of always being ignored and rejected by his father, switched the chemicals in the serum, which turned it green and caused it to explode in his face.
Later, at the hospital, Norman Osborn found himself thinking more clearly than ever before, not knowing that he would slowly become insane. He attempted to achieve power beyond his wildest dreams, Norman Osborn planned to become the most powerful gang lord of all by uniting all the independent gangs under his leadership in an attempt to gain control over all of New York's crime, to prove his power and establishment of his reputation, he decided to choose Spider-Man as his victim of choice and sent two criminals, the Cleavon Twain AKA the Headsman and Steven Hudak AKA the Scorcher, after Spider-Man. The two were defeated and Norman Osborn decided to take matters into his own hands. He became the original Green Goblin naming himself after remembering a giant green goblin monster from his childhood nightmares, he then created a costume that reflected that monster.
Enter the GoblinEditHe first battled Spider-Man with the help of the Enforcers, by getting Spider-Man to participate in a movie about him. Goblin attempted to defeat him in New Mexico, he let Spider-Man battle the Hulk, whose stomping grounds the Goblin, the Enforcers, and Spider-Man accidentally stumbled upon. While escaping the Hulk, Spider-Man attempted to capture the Green Goblin, but was too exhausted to prevent his escape while returning to New York, the Green Goblin easily hid among st New York's population.
Spider-Man and the Green Goblin fought a few months later at a fan club meeting for Spider-Man organized by Flash Thompson. However, when Spider-Man heard that his Aunt May was extremely ill, he was forced to retreat, giving him a sour reputation by most of New York's citizens, including several superheroes, super-villains, citizens, and J. Jonah Jameson, giving the Green Goblin an impressive reputation. Later, the Green Goblin pretended to be helping the police by attempting to capture Lucky Lobo, a big gang leader, after seeing the defeat by Spider-Man, attempted a partnership with the Nick Lewis, Sr. AKA the Crime-Master, which again failed.
With every one of these defeats, the Green Goblin became more determined. In time, Osborn became totally obsessed with Spider-Man and finally began directing all of his efforts to finding a way to conquer his adversary.
One of the biggest success in the Green Goblin's career was learning Spider-Man's secret identity, by utilizing a false gang that sprayed Spider-Man with a gas that nullified his spider-sense, allowing the Goblin to follow him without being detected. He brought him to his hideout and revealed himself to be Norman Osborn, the father of Harry Osborn, one of Peter Parker's classmates. After gloating and revealing his past, he let Spider-Man escape his bindings, so as to prove his superiority. Spider-Man managed to defeat the Goblin by sending him into a bunch of disconnected, high-voltage wires that were drenched in chemicals. Norman Osborn gained amnesia lost all memory up to the years that his son was in high school. Spider-Man was content with this knowledge, burned the Green Goblin's costume in hopes to never to see him again.
'Death' of the Green GoblinEdit
The Return of Norman OsbornEdit
The Dark ReignEdit
"Norman Osborn, America's last hero. That's what I am."
The Dark AvengersEdit
The Void and the Green Goblin ResurgentEdit
During his Dark Reign, Norman Osborn drew up a "to-do" list, consisting of solutions to major threats to his status quo, which he pursued with varying degrees of success.
The Siege Of AsgardEdit
Rise of the Goblin KingEdit
At some point in time, Norman Osborn underwent facial reconstruction surgery and became Alchemax's executive "Mason Banks", and started a plot to create an empire for his grandson. Gathering followers that were brutalized by the Superior Spider-Man to his cause, including Phillip "Phil" Urich and Menace, the Green Goblin gradually amassed an army in the underground sewers of New York. Thanks to Superior Spider-Man focusing on the larger picture, the Green Goblin was effectively able to own over half of New York's organized crime, and he made sure to stamp his authority by wiping out those against him. After kidnapping Carlie Cooper, the Green Goblin soon learned that Otto Octavius's mind is now in Spider-Man's body. He entered in a conflict with the Hobgoblin and defeated the impostor
Following his return to sanity, Osborn allied himself with the new leader of Symkaria, Countess Karkov. Together, Osborn and Karkov put the resources of the country and exploited its people into building an empire of technologically-advanced weapons making that became known as the Goblin Army. He offered his services to despicable people, such as dictators. Additionally, Osborn started to make use of plastic surgery to better cover his tracks and keep his secrecy more easily.
Following world-shaking events involving the new Jackal, Spider-Man set his sights on capturing Norman Osborn. Hot on Osborn's trail, Spider-Man allied himself with Silver Sable to invade Symkaria and overthrow its current leaders. Norman attempted to grow his Goblin Army in numbers by gassing the Symkarian people with Goblin Serum, but the missile meant to spread the gas was disabled by Spider-Man's allies while the wall-crawler was personally fighting Osborn. When S.H.I.E.L.D. appeared on the scene, Osborn fled. Having concluded that the only times he had come close to beating Spider-Man were when he let his Green Goblin persona out, Norman set out to regain his insanity.
Rise of the Red GoblinEdit
Unfortunately for Osborn, the cure Spider-Man gave him that rid him of his powers also prevented him from using the Goblin Formula to restore them. After science failed him, Osborn traveled to the Temple With No Name to learn how to become a magic user. Osborn was subjected to a test to determine whether he was worthy of learning magic, but despite his immense potential the keepers of the temple deemed him to be too villainous and evicted him. Osborn also tried to break into the Sanctum Sanctorum to rob of it of any magic he could use, but he was forced to flee when Doctor Strange was alerted to Osborn's attempted breach.
Osborn had two henchmen rob the Lock Box of the Carnage symbiote, where it was being stored. The mercenaries were successful in stealing the symbiote and Osborn quickly bonded with it to become the new Carnage. Though the symbiote initially asserted its dominance, Osborn gave Carnage a taste of the joys of torture and killing after the symbiote forced him to kill two of his henchmen. Norman agreed to let the symbiote savor more if he was given control. After restoring his facial features and making the symbiote eject the nanites that prevented him from regaining his powers from his body, Osborn decided to use the Goblin Formula to become a goblin/symbiote hybrid.
After taking the Goblin formula, Norman kidnapped J. Jonah Jameson and started stalking Spider-Man. After finding out his connection to Mary Jane, Normal became obsessed to find out who Spider-Man was. When Goblin King came to the Goblin cache where Norman kept Jameson, Osborn went to confront the new Goblin King. Taunting him about how he made him, Norman stopped Phil's attack and killed him with his symbiote blades. After Osborn suited up as the Green Goblin, Jameson said how he couldn't stop Spider-Man since even throwing Gwen Stacy off the bridge didn't stop him fighting back. Those words made Norman remember why he did it and how Peter Parker was Spider-Man.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Spider-Man believes Norman to have retained his Goblin powers.
- Superhuman Strength: After drinking the Goblin formula,Norman became super-humanly strong, possessing a potential strength capacity . As the Green Goblin, he can easily overpower humans by sending them flying or lifting them up with one hand, or even by hurling them around. He can also lift extremely heavy objects, break through wood panels and templates, can bend metal, and can punch through glass without any signs of injury. As shown on many occasions the Green Goblin can match Spider-Man. When he gained Super-Adaptoid powers he had increased his strength to the point when he was able to throw Luke Cage at a considerable distance.
- Superhuman Speed: Norman can, thanks to the Goblin formula, run and or exercise as well as operate at superhuman speeds hence his overall body equilibrium is also heightened although he is not nearly as fast as speedsters, as Spider-Man and Quicksilver. With his speed, he can outrun vehicles.
- Superhuman Stamina: Norman can, thanks to the Goblin formula, operate or maintain continuous physical motion in activities or simply in his movements for prolonged periods of time without getting tired or weary in the process.
- Superhuman Durability: The Goblin formula fortified all of Osborn's bodily tissues, making them tougher and more resistant to injury than normal humans. While Osborn can be injured by a knife or small conventional bullets composed of conventional material, he is very resistant towards impact forces and blunt trauma. He can withstand numerous impacts such as falling from heights or being repeatedly struck by other superhuman enemies, showing no harm.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Osborn can sustain from injury, his body can increased his metabolism which allows him to heal from harm faster than a normal human is capable of. While not nearly as efficient healing powers possessed by Wolverine, he can also heal from harm that regular human beings cannot heal from. For example, Osborn survived being impaled by his own Goblin Glider and recovered with only a scar left on his chest. He also recovered from having dozens of his bombs explode while webbed to his chest.
- Superhuman Agility: The Goblin's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: His reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Mimicry: When he was the Super-Adaptoid, Osborn had the ability to copy powers of any super-powered person who he manages to be contact with. It then becomes a duplicate of that being and visually indistinguishable. Given an opportunity, it can copy up to eight different beings at a time. If he touches too many super-humans he would stay in coma. His Super-Adaptoid mimics are so powerful that he can absorb Thor's god-like abilities and with copying many others at the same time.
- Genius Level Intellect: Norman is extremely smart and intelligent and was extremely skilled with mathematics and science. Norman has an immense knowledge in chemistry since he studied the side-effects of drugs on humans and animals. Aside from his physical advantages, the serum also greatly enhanced Norman's already highly above average intellect, making him a true genius capable of making progress in advanced areas of genetics, robotics, engineering, and applied chemistry that most professional scientists can scarcely comprehend.
- Expert Marksman: As the Green Goblin, Norman uses various hand-held throwing weapons such as explosives and razor projectiles which he will throw with great aim rarely ever missing his target. He is also a skilled sharpshooter with various firearms.
- Skilled Combatant: He is a skilled unarmed combatant that is capable of using most weapons proficiently.
- Insanity: Result of being exposed to the Goblin Formula, Norman developed a personality known as the Green Goblin. This made him always mentally unstable and greatly lose grip on reality that he already had. This also made extremely repulsive, not thinking the through the situation that is given. This has caused him to fall into traps very easily. Norman even becomes delusional; thinking he is invincible, that "not even death could defeat him". This can lead into a severe disadvantage while in a fight.
- Green Goblin Costume: The Green Goblin's costume incorporated chain mail in the tunic, giving him further protection from high impacts, such as the punches or kicks inflicted during his battles with Spider-Man.
- Flying Broomstick: The Green Goblin originally rode through the air on a one man, miniature turbo-fan-powered vertical thrust "flying broomstick".
- Explosives: The Green Goblin created and utilized various concussive, incendiary, and other specialized explosives in his career, most in the form of miniature jack-o'lanterns. The Goblin usually carried these in a shoulder bag, nicknamed his "bag of tricks".
- Incendiary: The incendiary grenades ignited almost soundlessly and released enough heat to melt through a three-inch thick sheet of steel.
- Smoke/Gas: He also carried a variety of smoke and gas-emitting bombs, which were surrounded by a light plastic mantle that fluttered like a wraith when the bomb was thrown. Other gas bombs emitted hallucinogenic gases, and others released a specially concocted gas that could neutralize Spider-Man's spider sense for a limited period of time.
- Flying Razor Bats: The Green Goblin sometimes threw razor sharp bat shaped projectiles which could slice into or ram and impale themselves into opponents.
- Electrical Discharges: The Green Goblin's gloves were interwoven with microcircuit-conducting filaments capable of high-frequency electrical power from rechargeable power packs in both his glove cuffs and costume tunics. They had the capacity to discharge for up to five minutes of sustained fire before depleting their power supplies.
- Bag of Tricks: In addition to the common Goblin weapons, there are many others in the bag of tricks like a crescent moon boomerang, a ghost that is stronger than steel, a frog that can emit sonic blasts, and can carry many other weapons in it most of which are unrevealed.