He grows up with his mother Conchata, his younger brother Gabriel, and the abusive father George O'Hara. A rebellious boy with prodigy-level intelligence, Miguel is an adolescent when he is awarded enrollment into the Alchemax School for Gifted Youngsters, a renovated version of the X-Men's headquarters, in Westchester, owned by the powerful Alchemax megacorporation which also controls local law enforcement agencies. Here, he befriends Xina Kwan, a girl of similar intelligence who specializes in computers. Xina helps Miguel defend himself against the bully Kron Stone, son of Tyler Stone, Vice President of R&D for Alchemax. As adults, Miguel and Xina date seriously until Miguel cheats on her with Dana D'Angelo, who originally is the girlfriend of Miguel's brother Gabe. Later on, Miguel and Dana are engaged. Though seemingly arrogant and confident in all walks of life, Miguel is a very private man and trusts almost no one save for his apartment's holographic aid Lyla, an artificial intelligence programmed by Xina.
Working at Alchemax
Powers & Abilities
- Accelerated Vision: Miguel O'Hara's visual acuity is considerably beyond that of a normal human. O'Hara can see objects at much greater distances, with perfect clarity, relative to an ordinary human. O'Hara possesses this same level of clarity at night, enabling him to see in near-complete darkness. It is possible that he is able to see into the infra-red end of the electromagnetic spectrum, enabling him to see a person's body heat. What appears as a blur to most people, he can see perfectly.
- Rapid Healing: O'Hara's accelerated metabolism affords him a rapid healing ability that lets him regenerate damaged bodily tissue faster and more extensively than a normal human is capable of. Injuries such as slashes or puncture woulds can heal completely within a matter of hours. It isn't known if O'Hara's healing powers afford him greater resistance to toxins or diseases; nor if they grant him an extended lifespan. O'Hara healing factor isn't sufficiently enhanced to regenerate severed limbs or missing organs. although he heals at a greater rate than a normal human, he doesn't possess an actual superhuman healing factor.
- Talons and Fangs: O'Hara possesses elongated canine teeth that secrete a paralyzing, though non-toxic, venom. He also possesses short, retractable talons at the tips of his fingers and toes that he uses to dig into surfaced, enabling him to crawl along them as a spider might. The talons are also razor sharp and, coupled with his great strength, are able to rend materials as durable as cinder block.
- Spinnerets: Both of O'Hara's forearms contain a set of spinnerets that release a very strong and sticky web-like substance from the back of his wrists. O'Hara can use this webbing to swing from building to building with or as a means of restraining an individual. Unlike the original spider-man, O'Hara's webs are organic and are chemically identical to real spider silk.
- Enhanced Resilience: O'Hara has a level of resilience far greater than most humans. he once fell off a building and effortlessly walked to a hospital, where a doctor said that with broken ribs and massive fractures, it was amazing that he could even stand up.
- Much like Peter Parker, Miguel O'Hara is a skilled and gifted geneticist. He is also a formidable hand to hand combat, despite the fact that he's had little formal training. He uses a special freestyle of fighting that allows him to make full use of his strength, speed, and agility.
- Spider-Man 2099 was an unlockable costume for Spider-Man in the first of Activision's Spider-Man games for Sony PlayStation, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, and the Windows/PC platform.
- The unlockable character returned in the game's sequel, Enter Electro, produced for PlayStation.
- Spider-Man 2099 is also a Wii exclusive unlockable costume for Spider-Man: Web of Shadows by completing 50 city events.
- Spider-Man 2099 is a playable character in the Marvel Super Hero Squad video game.
- Spider-Man 2099 is a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online.
- Spider-Man 2099 is one of four versions of Spider-Man featured as playable protagonists in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, voiced by Dan Gilvezan, who played the role of Peter Parker in the 1980s cartoon series Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.
- Spider-Man 2099 is a playable character in Spider-Man: Edge of Time, voiced by Christopher Daniel Barnes, who provided the voice of Spider-Man in the 1994 TV series. In the game, he is trying to stop Sloan from rewriting history by allowing Alchemax to be founded ahead of schedule. He makes a chronal link with Peter Parker to help him out, but is annoyed by his attitude. He travels back into the past to help Peter survive being killed by Anti-Venom and helps defeat an evil version of Peter (who is now Alchamax's CEO, having lived off of anti-aging pills) along with an Atrocity created from a mixture of Anti-Venom, Doctor Octopus, and Sloan.
- Originally O'Hara did not possess a Spider-Sense as the original Spider-Man did. However, in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Madame Web passed on this power to him to aid him. Note that this ability has not appeared outside of Shattered Dimensions.
- A television series for Miguel O'Hara/Spider-Man 2099 was considered in the late 1990's however the series was turned down in favor for Spider-Man: Unlimited.