|Full name:||Matthew Michael Murdock|
|First Appearance:||Daredevil (Volume 1) 1|
|Created by:||Stan Lee, Bill Everett|
|Place of Birth:||New York City|
|Base:||Hell's Kitchen, New York City; formerly Matt Murdock's Apartment, Nelson and Murdock Law Office, New York, Shadowland, San Francisco, California|
|Affiliations:||Partner of Blindspot, New York City District Attorney's Office; formerly Kirsten McDuffie, Nelson and Murdock, New Avengers, Defenders, S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel Knights, leader of the Hand; former partner of Black Widow; Worthington Industries (Attorney)|
|Powers/Abilities:||Enhanced five senses, radar sense|
|Height:||6' 0" (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||200 lbs (91 kg)|
|Unique Features:||Red Eyes|
"We all want to live in a world where we can make a difference, Ms. McDuffie. That's why Spider-Man fights the good fight. Or Captain Marvel. Or me. Or... There are a lot of us. And we don't all wear masks these days. Iron Man went public. So did Captain America. Others. Probably because it's harder to keep secrets in an internet surveillance age. But I think some of it, too, is that the ethical paradox can wear you down. No one on the white-hat side has ever hidden his or her identity with less than noble intent: about something bigger than us. To represent a greater justice where the focus can be on right and wrong... and not on whether the bad guys will exact reprisal on those close to us. And sometimes you have to lie. Sometimes, someone guess--"Aren't you really Spider-Man?"-- and you look them dead in the eye and say "Absolutely not" because you can justify a lie if lives are riding on it. Even as you fight for, as the saying goes, truth and justice... even if you're a lawyer who has sworn to live by the truth... you willingly bear false witness. When the Globe came after me, I lied to shield my friends . That's the truth. It's not the kind of excuse I'm looking forward to giving St. Peter-- a sin is a sin-- but maybe he'll understand. I hope so. But where I took it too far was in counterattacking the Globe. That wasn't me shielding anyone or dismissing a perceived danger. That wasn't an act of integrity. That was me fighting to preserve a lie. Keep it alive. Give it power. That's different. That's not what we should be doing. My dad taught me better than that. I'm Daredevil. That's the truth."
The son of prize fighter "Battlin' Jack", Matt Murdock grew up in the relative poverty of Hell's Kitchen with much reverence for his father, who constantly pressed him to study instead of playing with his friends.
Matt's father, Jack, hoped that Matt would become a doctor or a lawyer, instead of an "uneducated pug" like himself. This led the neighborhood kids to taunt the seemingly "cowardly" Matt as "Daredevil." Frustrated, Matt would secretly train in his father's gym, working off his anger.
One day, Matt saw a blind man walking towards an oncoming truck. Matt pushed the man out of the way, saving the man's life. However, the truck crashed and the radioactive isotope it was carrying spilled out, striking Matt across the face and blinding him forever. While recovering in the hospital, Matt discovered his remaining five senses were amplified to superhuman degrees, even developing a "radar sense" that formed a mental picture of his surroundings.
As an adult, he becomes a lawyer and opens a law firm with Foggy Nelson while secretly taking on the mantle of Daredevil in order to protect the citizens of Hell's Kitchen and bring justice to the streets as well as the courtroom.
Relationships with other heroes
As a superhero, one of his best friends is the superhero Spider-Man. With his ability to distinguish heartbeats, Murdock learned Spider-Man's identity and subsequently revealed his. However, due to the events of the One More Day storyline, Murdock no longer knows Spider-Man's secret identity, and since then refused to relearn it due to the potential danger involved.
He is a very similar to Spider-Man. He gained his powers through a radioactive accident, and is mostly motivated by the death of his father, the same way that Peter Parker became motivated by the death of his uncle Ben Parker to fight crime for the greater good.
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Sense of Touch: Daredevil's sense of touch is so acute that his finger can feel the faint impressions of ink on a printed page allowing him to read by touch.
- Enhanced Sense of Smell: Daredevil's sense of smell is so acute that he can distinguish between identical twins at twenty feet by minute differences in smell. He can also detect odors. Further, his ability to remember smells enables him to identify any person he has spent at least five minutes with by smell alone, no matter how he or she might try to camouflage his or her natural odor. His powers of concentration are such that he can focus upon a single person's smell and follow it through a crowd of people at a distance of fifty feet.
- Enhanced Sense of Hearing: Daredevil's sense of hearing enables him to detect an acoustic pressure change of one decibel at a pressure level of seven decibels (whereas the lowest threshold for average human hearing is twenty decibels.) He can hear a person's heartbeat at a distance of over twenty feet, or people whispering on the other side of a standard soundproofed wall. Through practice, Daredevil is able to control his hearing acuity, mentally blocking out specific sounds like his own breathing and heartbeat, all ambient sounds to a normal human level of perception, or all sounds but a particular sound he is concentrating upon.
- Enhanced Sense of Taste: Daredevil's sense of taste enables him to detect the number of grains of salt on a pretzel. His ability to remember tastes enables him to determine every ingredient of a food or drink he tastes, as long as there are at least twenty milligrams of that substance present.
- Lie Detection: Daredevil can tell whether a person is lying by listening to changes in his or her heartbeat.
- Person Identification: Daredevil can identify people by the specific patterns of their heartbeats.
- Enhanced Balance: Daredevil's balance centers give him equilibrium on par with Spider-Man.
- Radar Sense: Daredevil can also sense the proximity and arrangement of objects about himself. According to one theory, Daredevil's "radar sense" functions via his brain's generation of energy within a certain portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. The signal emanates from sending regions of his brain, after which it travels outward, bounces off objects around him, and returns to receiving regions of his brain.
- Telepathy: Daredevil has displayed minor telepathic abilities.
- High Intellect: Matthew has a high IQ; he's an accomplished strategist as well as an expert in interrogation, disguise, medicine, science and detective work.
- Master Acrobat: Daredevil is classed superb-Olympic athlete, gymnast, acrobat, and aerialist due to constant training and exercise. His reflexes and agility are equally remarkable and are on par with the finest human athletes.
- Weapons Proficiency: Thanks to his martial arts training, Matt is proficient in wielding various different weapons. Since Ninjutsu is the only identified discipline that teaches weapons, it would indicate he is trained in the use of most Japanese-themed melee weaponry.
- Expert Marksman: He is very accurate in throwing most projectile-like weaponry along with his sticks.
- Expert Stick Fighter: Matt is an expert in wielding all types of stick weapons which include staffs, batons, nunchaku, and paired short sticks.
- Master Martial Artist: Daredevil has also been trained in the ninja arts by Stick, a master and member of the secret order The Chaste.
For a "normal" human, Matt has demonstrated remarkable physical strength. Daredevil is an Olympic-level weightlifter and possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build that exercises intensively and regularly.
Matt has demonstrated that he can lift and handle a 400 lbs. barbell if it were fifty pounds, has overturned a limo full of people, and has picked up and used a mail drop-box as a blunt instrument. At his peak, Daredevil possesses sufficient strength to press lift approximately 450 lbs.
- The horns on his costume are antennae that can pick up radiowaves, allowing them to serve as a police scanner. While possessed by The Beast the horns on his costume were transformed into larger devil horns when it fully awakened, and were reverted back to normal when The Beast was removed from Matt Murdock's body.
- Matt currently wields a multi-purpose cane. Its initial form is two short sticks held together by an extendable cable. It can be configured into a nunchaku- like weapon to a manrikigusari(a long rope/chain weapon with two weights on its ends), dual short sticks which can be wielded in a pair, staff, or a cable with a grappling hook. The weapon can also be adjusted to combine both sticks into a larger stick. The weapon is held by a holster on the side of Matt's left leg.
- Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends episode, "Attack of the Arachnoid" voiced by Frank Welker.
- Daredevil appears in the Spider-Man (1994 TV series) double episode "Framed"/"The Man Without Fear", voiced by Edward Albert.
- Daredevil made his first video game appearance in a cameo in Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety released in 1995.
- The character had a more expansive role as an alternate playable character in Spider-Man: Web of Fire, released in 1996, voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- Daredevil appears in the 2000 Spider-Man video game again voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- Daredevil later starred as a playable character in the 2005 Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects video game, voiced by David Kaye.
- Daredevil appeared as an unlockable character in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance voiced by Cam Clarke.
- Daredevil is a playable character in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 voiced by Brian Bloom. In the Wii and PS2 versions, he is exclusive to the Anti-registration side and boss for the Pro-registration side.
- Matt Murdock makes a cameo appearance in Chris Redfield's ending for Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, where he is shown acting as the prosecutor at the trial of Albert Wesker. In addition, on the Daily Bugle stage, there is an advertisement billboard for "Nelson & Murdock - Attorneys at Law."
- Daredevil appears in the Shadowland stage in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in his black outfit. Additionally, a zombified version of Daredevil makes a cameo in Frank West's ending of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.
- Daredevil is a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, in his standard red outfit and his alternate classic yellow outfit. Brian Bloom reprises his role from Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2.
- Daredevil is a playable character in the Facebook game Marvel: Avengers Alliance.
- In 2013, Marvel Heroes, Daredevil is a playable character, and one of the few character the player can choose from the start. The first level of the game is Hell's Kitchen, Daredevil's hometown.