|Full name:||Kaine Parker|
|First Appearance:||Web of Spider-Man #119 (Dec, 1993)|
|Created by:||Terry Kavanagh, Steven Butler|
|Place of Birth:||U.S.A.|
|Powers/Abilities:||Proportional strength, speed, agility, and reflexes of a spider|
|Height:||6' 4" (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||250 lbs (113 kg)|
|Unique Features:||Tattoo on left arm|
"The scars are gone. The degeneration is gone. But for the first time in my life... I'm not dying. For the first time in my life, I realize I don't have to be the man I see in the mirror. I may not be able to forget my past... But I can be someone better. For the first time in my life... I'm alive."
He is currently the only surviving clone and is known as the 'other' by the Inheritors.
BirthKaine was created by Miles Warren in his first attempts to clone the hero Spider-Man. Though initially appearing to be a success, flaws in the cloning process led to him quickly becoming deformed and mentally unstable. Warren, hoping to glean more information from the failure, did not destroy him, wondering how long he would survive the degeneration process. Feeling rejected by Warren only seeing him as an object, Kaine left the mad professor, and soon discovered that his degeneration had gifted him with powers his genetic template lacked. His physical abilities had been boosted beyond Spider-Man's, and he had developed a limited precognitive ability (apparently stemming from his Spider-Sense). He also developed what came to be called the "Mark of Kaine", an acidic touch that burned a distinctive mark on his victims' faces.
Warren continued to create clones of Spider-Man, eventually creating one that would come to be known as Ben Reilly. Warren set Reilly against Spider-Man, and the battle ended with both Reilly and Warren assumed dead. In reality, Warren had created a clone of himself that had died in his stead while he remained in stasis in a cloning pod, whereas Reilly had fled New York after realizing he was a clone.However, unbeknownst to anyone, Norman Osborn switched Warren's files around, making it appear that Peter Parker was the clone, and Ben Reilly was the original. When Kaine came across these files, he believed them, and began to stalk Ben. During this time, he became romantically involved with detective Louise Kennedy in Salt Lake City, though he killed her when he discovered that she was working for criminals. This event weakened his already tenuous grasp on his sanity, leading him to make it appear that Janine Godbe, a woman Ben was romantically involved with, had killed herself. Not content to leave it at that, he then framed Ben for various murders, as they had the same fingerprints. In his deranged state, he reasoned that doing this would allow the other "clone" (Peter) to have the life that he was robbed of.
Return to New York
When Ben eventually returned to New York, to visit the ill Aunt May, Kaine followed. Kaine had, by now, become a mob hitman, and was more than willing to use his lethal skills to keep Ben out of Peter's life. At this point, his precognitive Spider-Sense alerted him that Mary Jane's life was in danger. Kaine went on a killing spree, desperate to prevent this. He murdered any villain he deemed a potential threat, such as Doctor Octopus and Grim Hunter. Both would later learn to fear the mad clone, and took steps to prevent future encounters from ending as the last. Kaine's brutal attacks brought him to the attention of both Peter and Ben, who now used the superhero alias of Scarlet Spider. To further complicate matters, Kaine's killing spree was placed on police bulletin boards across the nation, and when the news reached Salt Lake City, Louise's former partner recognized Kaine's MO. They left for New York, eager to bring the killer to justice.
Trial of Peter Parker
Furious at Kaine's behavior, Peter demanded that he turn himself in. Kaine refused, and fought with Peter. Eventually, this led to a mock trial, with Peter on trial, Kaine as his defense attorney, Carnage as the prosecutor, Ravencroft Institute inmates as the jury, and Judas Traveller as the judge. Kaine tried to fight off everyone against Peter, and Judas returned them to their battle. Peter was imprisoned for the crimes Kaine committed, as he, Kaine, and Ben shared fingerprints. However, Ben took his place in jail.
Now free to clear his name, Peter confronted a weakened Kaine. Kaine had earlier fought off Stunner, a villainess attempting to avenge Kaine's murder of Doctor Octopus. Still refusing to confess, Peter knocked him unconscious, webbed him up, and dragged him to the courthouse. Before they could arrive, Kaine woke up, and fought with him again. During their struggle, Kaine revealed his origin as Peter's degenerated clone, and told Peter that he had done everything to protect him.
Peter then stated that if Kaine would not come clean, he would announce his identity, ending everything. Kaine begged Peter not to, and confessed to the murders at the courthouse, even leaving his "Mark of Kaine" on the judge's podium. Taking that as undeniable proof, Kaine was taken into custody.
After the trial, Peter and Ben went to Seward Trainer, hoping to finally discern who was the original. Much to their shock, the results claimed that Ben was the original. It would later be discovered that Norman Osborn had influenced Trainer to tamper with the results. Furious with the revelation that his life was a lie, Peter went to the Jackal. After hearing this, Kaine confronted the Jackal, ready to finally end the life of his 'father'.
However, the Jackal tricked Kaine into believing he would cure him of his degeneration. After revealing this to be yet another lie, Kaine left, dejected. No longer certain about what to do, he went to Mary Jane. She taught him about Peter's code of responsibility, reinvigorating him. Kaine hurried to the Jackal's lab, arriving in time to help Ben battle numerous spider-clones. During the battle, Kaine saved the Jackal from Spidercide, and was impaled on a masonry spike. When the Jackal asked why, Kaine replied, "You gave me life." In repayment of this, he placed Kaine in a regeneration pod. When the pod was next seen, Kaine was not in it.
The Great Games
Kaine's pod was eventually discovered by James Johnsmeyer. Seeing an opportunity to make money, he decided to initiate Kaine in the Great Games, a tournament where heroes and villains are pitted against each other. As one of the main sponsors, Johnsmeyer pitted him against The Rhino. Kaine refused, and was able to escape with the help of Muse.
Johnsmeyer was persistent, however, and sent Rhino after him, alongside Polestar and Joystick. Ben Reilly, currently acting as Spider-Man, intervened, battling Joystick and Polestar while Kaine nearly killed Rhino. Ben was able to keep him from finishing the job, and Kaine fled with Muse. Unbeknownst to them, Ben had tagged Muse with a Spider-Tracer and pursued them after the police took the villains into custody. He was able to confront them before the police, but was forced to let them go after Kaine threatened to kill the arriving officers.
Wanting revenge, Kaine went after Johnsmeyer's headquarters. After destroying every bit of his security equipment, Kaine and Muse were yet again confronted by Spider-Man. When they got inside, Johnsmeyer revealed that Muse had been in his employ the entire time, manipulating Kaine. Furious at being toyed with again, Kaine attempted to kill her, only for Ben to convince him not to. Unable to get his vengeance, Kaine left, vowing to take down everyone involved in the Great Games.
Kaine would encounter Ben once more, after Janine Godbe had returned. Although he nearly left Ben to die in a burning restaurant, he opted to save him in the end. Inspired by Ben's continued heroism, he acknowledges Ben as his brother and turns himself in for his crimes.
However, Kaine would eventually escape to hunt down Norman Osborn, having learned that Osborn was responsible for misleading Kaine into believing that Ben was his enemy.Raptor in the hopes of curing his cellular degeneration. This placed him in conflict with Spider-Man, who was hunting Raptor.
Kaine would appear again when Raptor attacked Harry Osborn and Peter's cousins at Aunt May's house. After battling Peter, Kaine snapped Raptor's neck, realizing that Raptor had lied when he promised to cure Kaine's degeneration. As Peter had escaped during the melee, Kaine left his progenitor's life once more.Alyosha and Ana Kravinoff for being a Spider. Severely injured, Kaine hurried to Peter's apartment to warn him that "the spiders are being hunted". Peter tells him to hide in his bathroom, and leaves to face the Kravinoffs. While Peter is fighting them, Kaine is able to recover, and cuts his hair to resemble Peter. He joins Peter in the fight, only to bury Peter in an open grave when they begin to lose. Unwilling to let Peter die, he steals his costume and rejoins the fight as Spider-Man. He is unable to best them, however, and is killed by Sasha Kravinoff in order to resurrect Kraven.
Recognizing Kaine's sacrifice, Peter buries him as "Kaine Parker". Not long after Peter leaves, however, Kaine rises from the grave, sporting spider-like eyes in the center of his forehead.
Shortly after his resurrection, Kaine was abducted by The Jackal and further mutated into a humanoid spider dubbed "Tarantula". This weakened his mind, allowing the Spider Queen to control him. He served as the Jackal's bodyguard, allowing him to focus on their plan to destroy New York.
When the Queen learns of a cure for their "Spider-Virus" being developed at Horizon Labs, she sends Kaine to destroy it. This results in Kaine once more battling with Peter. Peter gains the upper hand, and throws Kaine into a vat of concentrated cure. This has the effect of not only restoring his human form, but also fixing his cellular degeneration, removing his distinctive facial scars. The Queen's hold broken, Kaine informs Peter of who is responsible for the virus.
Wanting to help, Kaine takes Peter's stealth suit and goes to Central Park to join the Avengers in a final assault on the Queen. With help from Ms. Marvel, Kaine is able to stab the queen in the throat, killing her.
In the aftermath, Kaine is able to evade the other heroes by using the stealth function of his suit. While trying to flee, however, he is caught by Madame Web, who tells him to find his own path. After this, Kaine goes to the airport, where Peter is seeing off Aunt May. Their animosity gone, they have a brief discussion before Kaine leaves New York.
Becoming the Scarlet Spider
"My name is Kaine. All my life, I was dying. I did terrible things. But now... now I have a second chance. And I'm Not going to waste it. I'm not Spider-Man. I'm not a hero. But maybe I don't have to be a monster. Maybe I can make up for all the things that I've done. Maybe I can stop running and have a life for the first time. And if not, well... Mexico's right next door."
Kaine started a trip around the USA to enter Mexico, earning money from both stopping robbers and committing robberies. During his stay in Houston, Texas, he saved a young girl, Aracely, from human trafficers and left her in a hospital. When a super-powered villain came after Aracely, and Kaine felt that he had to save her instead of leaving Houston. In a scarlet suit, Kaine faced the Salamander and managed to defeat him, being named by him as "Araña Escarlata" ('Scarlet Spider' in Spanish). When the people at the scene cheered him and told them they needed a hero, Kaine's sense of responsibility for Aracely led him to stay in Houston as Scarlet Spider.
In other subsequent adventures, Kaine found himself against the Assassins Guild, the Watchdogs, and Ana Kravinoff, who tried to kill him in order to free her father from the curse of immortality.
The Second Master
An explosion had occurred and a girl was falling to her death. Scarlet Spider saves her and she has no problem immediately showing her gratitude and bedding Kaine. Unable to have anyone in his life that is normal, the girl reveals that she was the cause of the explosion at the Roxxon building. Kaine was disturbed and with someone beating down the door, he escapes into the city only to return to her apartment hours later and find it completely empty.
Scarlet Spider breaks into the Roxxon building and finds out that there had also recently been an explosion at a Roxxon oil rig off the coast of Galveston, Texas. Before he can uncover any information he is apprehended by Roxxon CEO, David Walsh and his security team. Turns out the woman he saved earlier was Walsh’s daughter. A team of heroes called the Rangers at Walsh’s disposal waiting to defeat the Scarlet Spider.
The mystery deepens as Kaine doesn’t know who to trust or anybody in Texas. After brawling with the Rangers they later form an uneasy alliance to go to Galveston and get to the bottom of this mess.
After Kaine was alerted about Carnage's return and his trip to Texas in order to retrieve something from a NASA research center, Kaine tried to stop him. Kasady managed to use a inter-dimensional transport called the Prometheus Pit, made by the beings from the Microverse, transporting him there. Venom, who also was following Carnage's steps, joined Scarlet Spider in the search for Kasady, as they were transported to the Microverse by the Prometheus Pit.
Kaine was found by a healer called the Redeemer, after having been separated once they passed through the Pit. The Redeemer, who was wanted by the Marquis Radu, the leader of Carnage's allies. After betraying his allies, Carnage killed them and started searching for Marquis Radu, crossing paths with Kaine and the Redeemer. Both Scarlet Spider and Kasady were captured and bought to Marquis Radu's base alongside Venom, who had been captured previously along with his allies, the Enigma Force (a team of adventurers who were trying to capture Carnage as well).
The Venom and Carnage's symbiotes were replicated and used to create an army which could allow Radu to control the Microverse. Carnage managed to take control over the symbiote army and used it to escape to the regular universe, where he was finally defeated by the combined efforts of Venom and Scarlet Spider, thanks to a special weapon the Enigma Force. After being stung by the Scarlet Spider, Kasady's wounds were cured, but he was left in a catatonic state. The symbiote was now in full control of his body, but Kasady and his symbiote were sedated and incarcerated.
After a young victim of human trafficking was found dead, Kaine started hunting down and eradicating human traffickers from Houston, and vowed to use his powers to hunt down monsters.
During his crusade, he found himself facing Carlos Lobo and his sister, who had been responsible for Aracely's abuse. During a battle against the Lobos, Kaine was killed. His body was wrapped in a cocoon made of spider-webs, in a similar fashion to when Spider-Man had died after facing Morlun. Kaine found himself in a vision talking with The Other in its Ero form, who explained that it was the one who had resurrected Kaine after Kraven's Grim Hunt, in order to allow Kaine to embrace it, as Peter Parker had refused the offer. Kaine initially refused the Other's offer, not wanting to become "the Spider" or a monster greater than the one he already was. However, he realized that Aracely still needed his help, and that he therefore had no choice but to embrace it, being reborn with augmented powers and a more arachnid-like appearance. Kaine forced the Lobo Brothers to flee, as he left Carlos in a murdered state. With his human nature gone, Kaine almost made Aracely his prey, before she managed to use her powers to make Kaine's human side resurface, reverting him to his human form. Kaine returned to his 'normal' lifestyle, as he also started a relationship with Annabelle Adams, the bartender of the Four Seasons Hotel.
Scarlet Spider Vs. Wolverine
"Wolverine... I'm gonna have to kill you now. Nothing personal."
Dr. Donald Meland treating a patient brought into the ER with a gunshot wound. Upon beginning of the surgery, he finds a small ball in the victim, with the name “Kaine” written on it. The Gunsmith and Belladonna of the Assassin’s Guild are discussing whether Kaine will respond to their summons. Scarlet Spider shows up at this exact instance and proceeds to re-injure Gunsmith’s hands, preventing any fight. Wasting no time, Belladonna tells Scarlet that she has a contract for him and then she’ll leave him and his friends alone. The Wolverine. doesn’t fulfill this request, they will come after everyone he knows.
Aracely attempts to persuade Kaine into letting her come along. However, it seems this has already been planned as she has been provided a fake ID, Aracely is excited to go, but Kaine is less thrilled. Kaine begins to have his doubts,
Kaine and Aracely manage to sneak their way onto the campus of the “Jean Grey School for Higher Learning”, an institution which Kaine can only marvel at. Using his “spider communication”, Kaine tracks Wolverine’s location. Aracely (in a costume and calling herself “Hummingbird”) attempts to infiltrate the school, while an unknown member of the Assassin’s Guild tracks their progress.
Aracely doesn’t make it far before she’s stopped. When a displaced Jean Grey attempts to read Aracely’s mind though, Aracely has one of her “moments” and becomes Huitzilopochtli, causing great pain to all the psychic students. While Aracely attempts to apologize, Beast and Iceman attack a previously cloaked Scarlet Spider (Beast was able to smell him out). The fight doesn’t last long before Shadowcat puts her hand in Scarlet’s head and before Aracely stops her. Finally, Wolverine arrives, ready to fight.
Kaine is taken back at first by Wolverine’s ferociousness. He recognizes that while he thinks he’s a monster, Wolverine is an animal. He’s beginning to have his doubts when Wolverine manages to slice him with his claws, causing Kaine’s mental state for the Other comes out. He quickly stabs Wolverine in the heart and tears it in two. While the other X-Men stare in horror, as Kaine speaks to them, “Who’s next?”
Soon after, Wolverine gears up in his X-Factor costume, ready to head out with Kaine on a mysterious mission. It was revealed now that during the attack, Aracely telepathically communicated to Jean Grey that they needed Wolverine to play along because of the sniper outside. She communicated the message to him and thus causes the apparent death.
Meanwhile, in New Orleans, the Assassin’s Guild fulfills yet another contract, all the while mentioning the Red Death. Kaine and Wolverine head to stop the Guild, while Kaine explains his predicament. At the Mansion, the X-Men run tests on Aracely and discover that she is not a mutant, but that she may also be host to another being.
Kaine and Wolverine arrive in New Orleans and quickly begin killing off the masked members of the Assassin’s Guild. Kaine tells him how easily he’s slipping back to his old ways and how he’ll pay for it later. However, without a spider-sense to warn him he is unable to avoid an attack from Harvest, who still holds a grudge after Kaine cut off his leg in their last encounter.
The Gunsmith taunts Wolverine, telling him he’ll use an explosive round to the brain, an idea Kaine makes note of before saving Wolverine. Wolverine returns the favor by cutting off Harvest’s other leg and knocking Flower out. Belladonna arrives at this time, upset by Kaine’s betrayal. Kaine, is more upset that a woman that attractive is trying to kill him. Belladonna warns them that if they don’t die, the Red Death will come for them. Using his suit’s stealth option, Kaine sneaks up on Belladonna and puts a stinger to her throat. However, before anyone can make any moves, a mysterious force arrives, stabbing the Gunsmith and grabbing Kaine and Wolverine by the throat.
Kaine amusingly laments his situation, at the complete mercy of Candra, the Red Death (who, unlike last issue, is now sporting half a deformed face. Wolverine recognizes her from a previous run in with the X-Men. She had learned to harness power from death, and has been using tributes from the Assassin’s Guild to reform her body.
She has taken a particular interest in Kaine and Wolverine, both of whom have been touched by death. She plans to complete that for them and use that power to revive fully. Kaine offers her Wolverine in exchange for letting him and his friends go.
Distracted by the spider, Kaine webs her face, a move which incapacitates her far more easily than it does everyone else that Spider-Man has done that to. Belladonna, who is none too pleased to see Kaine and Wolverine still alive, order the remaining assassins to kill them. Wolverine begins killing the flunkies while Belladonna attacks Scarlet Spider. He attempts to convince her that she should let them kill Candra and free the guild to act on its own.
Dead No More
Powers and Abilities
Kaine possesses various superhuman attributes as a result of his unique physiology. As a clone of Spider-Man, Kaine began his life with powers identical to Spider-Man's though some of these powers were altered as a result of Kaine undergoing cellular degeneration, although once he was cured of his tarantula mutation and of his cellular degeneration, his powers have been reduced to around Peter Parker's strength.
- Superhuman Strength: Like Peter Parker, Kaine possesses superhuman strength. Initially, his strength is different to Spider-Man's, in which he could lift approximately 40 tons. Over time and further mutation, Kaine's physical strength has dramatically increased to the point of being able to lift up to 60 tons. He has proven to be able to beat the Rhino unconscious and hold his own against Peter Parker, Ben Reilly, and Spidercide at the same time. Following his reset of powers from being cured of his degeneration, Along with embracing the Other, it is assumed his strength level is roughly enhanced, compared to when Peter had joined the Other. When fully transformed into the Other, Kaine's strength has increased, as he was shown able to fight three Inheritors.
- Superhuman Speed: Kaine is capable of running and moving at speeds that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Kaine's augmented musculature is much more efficient than that of a normal human being. He produces less amounts of fatigue toxins during physical activity than an ordinary human. He can physically exert himself at peak capacity for at least several hours before the build up of fatigue toxins begin to impair him.
- Superhuman Durability: Kaine's body is tougher and more resistant to some types of injury than that of a normal human. Kaine's muscle tissues are resistant to powerful impact or blunt force. He can withstand impacts, such as falling from several stories, struck repeatedly with superhuman force or suffer several powerful energy blasts, that would severely injure or kill a normal human.
- Superhuman Agility: Kaine's agility, balance and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete. In spite of his increased size and mass, Kaine is still just as agile as Spider-Man.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Kaine's reflexes are similarly enhanced and are more efficient than those of an ordinary human by a factor of fifteen.
- Healing Factor: Kaine's physique was augmented with having a limited healing factor.
- Wall-Crawling: Kaine is also able to stick to virtually any surface and crawl across it just as Spider-Man is capable of. His mental control over this ability has been increased to such a degree, he can rip a wall down just by tugging at it hard enough with his palms.
- Mark Of Kaine: His deformity in his hands has channel this same energy endothermic-ally through his hands and leave a severe burn mark on a person by making skin-to-skin contact with them. He typically leaves this mark across a person's face, though it is presumed he can do the same to other parts of the body. Non-offensive usage of this power allows Kaine to easily burn his long hair (along with his beard) to a shorter length without burning himself.
- Biological/Organic Webbing Generation: Kaine has the ability to organically produce his own silk webbing from glands within his forearms, limited only by his body's health and nutrition.
- Psychic Alignment with Arthropods: Kaine has an unknown method of creating a psychic alignment with his environment; specifically, a more empathize and sympathetic relationship with spiders. While connected to the varying populations of spiders, he was unable to communicate with them directly or command them.
- Spider-Sense: Like Spider-Man, Kaine possesses an early warning system that allows him to sense potential danger or potential attack within his vicinity. Kaine's 'spider-sense' is even more developed than Spider-Man's, giving him a limited degree of actual precognition. However, the visions would come without warning, occasionally impairing his combat skills during a fight. After the events of Spider-Island, Kaine no longer has any form of spider-sense, and must rely on his superhuman reflexes to avoid attacks, as well as concentration while web-slinging
- Sting of Kaine: After his powers were altered on Spider-Island, Kaine had venomous bone-like stingers which extend from his forearms
- Nightvision: After Spider-Island, Kaine acquired night vision.
While Kaine is a formidable hand-to-hand combatant, and uses an unusual type of free-style technique similar to that of Spider-Man, Kaine has no qualms against fighting in a more brutal style. It allows him to make full use of his strength and agility. Kaine is also as intelligent as Spider-Man, and, presumably, has the same level of creativity and knowledge of chemistry. While he does not use web-shooters, he is capable of creating and using them should he choose to do so.
Kaine knows how to speak a little bit of Spanish and Japanese.
- Scarlet Spider Costume: A modified version of Spider-Man's Stealth Suit, which allows him to turn invisible and be invulnerable to sonic attacks.
- Though never explicitly stated within the story, in interviews afterwards the creators revealed that the Mark of Kaine was meant to be another analog of one of Spider-Man's powers, namely the ability to cling to walls.
- It is unclear as of yet, but it seems that after Kaine's encounter with Anti-Venom's "cure", Kaine's personality has changed to be more like Peter's. He shows this by his use of humor in response to Peter's, "Parker Brother's" comment and calling dibs on Peter's stealth suit (he didn't want to use the standard costume, due to him being killed last time he used it during the Grim Hunt story-line).
- He is shown to hate his superhero name (possibly due to it last being used by Ben Reilly, a fellow clone).
- It was revealed that Madame Web locked the stealth suit's look to red, preventing Kaine from changing it back to black (it was the reason why he was called the "Scarlet Spider"). Kaine was later able to figure out how to change it back to its usual color.
- Kaine's Scarlet Spider Costume is an alternative costume in the 2012 The Amazing Spider-Man game.
- It appears again as a alternative costume in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game.
- Kaine, in his current red and black costume appears in the mobile game Spider-Man Unlimited.