|So, as someone once said, --- Up --- Up --- and AWAY! - Peter Parker
This article is plagiarized.
It seems the information on this article is mostly or entirely copied from another source. Please edit this article to make it more original.
|Full name:||Dmitri Anatoly Nikolayevich Smerdyakov|
|First Appearance:||Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #1|
|Created by:||Stan Lee, Steve Ditko|
|Place of Birth:||Russia|
|Base:||Mobile; formerly Volgograd (Stalingrad), Russia|
|Affiliations:||Formerly USSR, Hydra, The Leader, the Kingpin, Sinister Twelve, the Exterminators, Colonel Masab (during the Dark Reign era), Sinister Six|
|Powers/Abilities:||Master of Disguise, Espionage, Politics, and Business Administration, Explosives Expert, Good Marksmanship with an air-pistol|
|Eye Color:||Variable; formerly Brown|
|Unique Features:||The Chameleon's head and face are smooth and featureless when he is not actively mimicking someone.|
" I am invisible because I am the same thing you look at every dreadful, dull day. I am the day before you realize everything has gone horribly, horribly wrong. I am the Chameleon. "
Dmitri Smerdyakov (of Earth-616), also known as Chameleon, is a former member of the Sinister Six and the half-brother of Kraven the Hunter. The Chameleon is the first villain Spider-Man ever encountered, based on issue publication date, excluding the burglar who murdered Spider-Man's Uncle Ben (Supercharger was the first Spider-Man villain chronologically).
The Hunt for Vengence
Joining the Sinister Six
Following the Dying Wish storyline, Chameleon later fights Spider-Man (Doctor Octopus' mind in Peter Parker's body) and the Secret Avengers on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier. Chameleon ends up knocked unconscious and Spider-Man transports him to his hidden underwater lab where he ends up imprisoned.
Powers & Abilities
- Imitation: The Chameleon possesses the ability to assume the appearance of any one he chooses, including pigmentation, hair, and body shape. Chameleon uses a Computer Belt to control and trigger this power. If he lost the belt, he reverted to his normal, dead-white form.
The Chameleon is a Master of Disguise, Espionage, Politics, and Business Administration. He is also an Explosives expert and a pretty good Marksman with his air-pistol.
- Memory Material: Chameleon’s clothing is made of a special fabric that can reshape and recolor itself. The change is triggered by his computer belt.
- Knockout Darts: The Chameleon carries a small air pistol that fires darts up to 40’. These darts contain a potent anesthetic that knocks its victim unconscious for several hours.
- Knockout Gas: A small aerosol can emits a cloud of potent anesthetic that knocks its victim unconscious for several hours. This cloud is effective up to 10’ away. Victims fall asleep for 1-10 hours.
- Smoke Bomb: These fill a 40' radius with an opaque mist.
- Computer Belt: This serves three functions. A video scanner records a person’s overall appearance and feeds that information into a visual synthesizer that interpolates the rest of the person’s appearance. Its memory banks can store hundreds of such images. When an image is called up via a code tapped on the belt’s keypad, subtle electrical signals trigger changes in the Chameleon’s body and pigmentation. A secondary signal alters the appearance of his clothing.
- Masks: Chameleon originally used masks that could be formed into a life-like copy of a chosen person’s face. When Chameleon sprayed it with a special gas, it dissolved and reverted to another shape, such as a different likeness or his normal white mask.
- Colorshift clothing: His original clothing was made of a special fabric that changed to another color when sprayed with a special gas.
He used to hijack a helicopter early in his debut. But no definite transportation was mentioned.
- Dmitri was revealed to have an American friend named Joe Cord.
- The source of his past abusive was that the father had been drunk and abused Sergei. Then Dmitri was abused by Sergei due to Sergei's anger at the father.
- His name was created from the Russian novel The Brothers Karamazov. Derived from "Dmitri" and "Smerdyakov"; Smerdyakov derives from the word smerdet meaning "to stink" / "son of the reeking one" in Russian.
- Originally, the Chameleon had no superhuman powers and simply used makeup and elaborate costuming to impersonate his targets. In order to do this, he implemented a device in a belt buckle that emitted a gas that helped him mold his features. This method of disguising was perhaps a forerunner to that of The Question, who was later created by Steve Ditko after his run on The Amazing Spider-Man.